Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's the model?

This is a question asked often in development work... people in every community are looking for "models" that they can borrow to bring to their community that will work.  And there are people peddling their wares to come to town to teach you how to implement their model.  My short take is it's not in and of itself a bad thing, but recognize that you've got to tailor models for your community. 

Given my criticism of the 'reformers' below, it's fair to ask, what are some models for education?  I think it could be helpful to have a conversation about how to take the prep school model and use it in your public school... Here's a model that makes sense to me -

http://www.newcountryschool.com/

Which I found from an online chat with  Ronald Wolk, whose book is on my reading list - 

No comments:

Post a Comment